Posts tagged space
Use world Space Day as inspiration for a week long offtimetable event.
The possibilities are virtually limitless:
- Make and design a rocket. Whose will go the furthest and why?
- Turn the school hall into a space ship.
- Make ‘Top Trump’ cards based on planets
- Make a telescope
- Look at how the food and drinks are produced for the shuttle flight and make your own
- Build a remote control planetary rover
- Invite an astronomer to give a talk (there are many enthusiastic amateurs throughout the country. Use google to find an amateur astronomy society near you)
- What planet would you like to explore and why ?
- Imagine you have just returned from a space mission to visit a new planet. Make a documentary and describe your experience to reporters
- Loads of space projects at http://spaceplace.nasa.gov/en/kids/projects.shtml
- Turn your classroom into a planetarium
- Make a model of the surface of another planet (including craters and volcanos)
- Meteorites – what are they, where have they landed, meteorite catastrophes in history
- A visit to the local planetarium or observatory
- An evening of star gazing at school with the help of a local astronomer
- Design eat and test space food
- Come to school dressed as astronauts, space vehicles or aliens
- Shuttle designs and rocket fuel
- Satellites how do they work and what do they see?
- Train to be an astronaut
- Document a space trip to the strangest planet of all – “Planet Earth”